Okok, I hate blogging too many post per day but my son insisted I get this info for him.
He and his gang of Form One scouts are going to slaughter a chicken to earn a badge. Big bro told him that their batch broke the chicken’s neck. I go, “Oh my God, why are you all so cruel! How can you break a poor chicken head like that?”
Earlier, my 13 yrs old told me his Muslim friend need to sembelih the chicken secara halal. OK, fine. But now, his Muslim friend is not going to slaughter the chicken and it is back to my kid’s duty.
I had slaughtered plenty of chicken in my lifetime. Back in the 70s, chicken didn’t appear in markets, all bald and dead. We had to rear our own chickens. At home, only my eldest bro and I dare to do this. I had also slaughtered monitor lizards and paddy frogs, btw. And I was only about 10-12 years old, you know?
My style was
1) Catch chicken by chasing all over the kampung
2) Prepare a bowl of salt water
3) Sharpen the knife (very important to have sharp sharp knife)
4) Take chicken, use foot to step on chicken legs
5) By now, chicken know its fate so chicken will have great strength to struggle, claw and cluck in pitiful manner.
6) Left hand, hold chicken’s neck and also wings. If chicken struggle too hard, use the other foot to step on the wings.
7) Pluck some feathers from chicken neck to expose the skin
8) Hold the neck thighter, OMMMMMM, sarrrrtt.
9) Fill the bowl (step 2) with chicken blood
10) Hold for several mins. till chicken no longer struggling and bleeding.
11) Twist the neck into the wings and leave to die completely
12) Dunk in boiling water and pluck feathers
13) Cut open from bottom and remove innards (dirty job)
My son and his friends are contemplating chopping off the head. I told him this is also cruel too. Having a headless chicken running all over the camp (near Botanical Gardens)is not a pretty sight.
So questions :
1) For a Muslim, I know the head has to be severed but can they kill the chicken first by cutting off the trachea and then baru chop off the head?
2) Any seasoned scouts around to tell me if there is any other way to slaughter a chicken than what I used to do?
3) Isn’t breaking off the neck or chopping off the head in one swift blow more cruel than slicing off the air passage?
4) All ye whom have killed a chicken, please stand up.
*Many chickens are harmed in this story.*