Minishorts asked Why Marry? two days ago. After two days, I still can’t figure out a one-liner answer.
Here’s my version:
THE HOLY ONE
1) God’s will.
2) Legally right.
3) Morally right.
4) Lovingly right.
5) Because mommy said so.
THE BITCHY ONE
1) So that we don’t get anak di luar nikah. It is awfully hard to register a child without a marriage certificate, you know?
2) If we are going to live with a man, why not grab the chance to own ALL of his properties. (It just takes one life insurance policy, one name on the EPF’s beneficiary form and in fact, every other forms that doesn’t require you to pay the mortgages.)
3) Saves accommodation costs. (only one roof needed)
4) It is much peaceful without having to reply to those endless, annoying, super kpc questions of “Why aren’t you married yet?”
5) Legal sex is available 24/7 on demand. (i.e. if you are lucky) And you won’t run the risk of getting a bunch of tok kadis pounce on you or even worse, a bunch of si-lais with sambal belacans to stuff up your errm…orifices.
THE REAL REASON?
Hell, I don’t know! I can’t remember why either. The only reason I married my lived-in boyfriend of 2 years was because I wanted little babies because my friends and colleagues got them. I can’t buy them off the shelves (like Angelina Jolie), so……I got married and make my own.
Now, who can tell me why we marry?
(Disclaimer – This is not my typical morally and religious right blog, ok? Take it with a pinch of salt, a spoonful of sugar, a squeeze of lemon and some cili padis.)