Our parish priest, Father Henry gave us this presentation at mass. I was so engrossed absorbing up the figures and when the presentation was over, I was waiting for more homily (yehsou talk) from him but it ended there and then.Â The presentation was something he took from the internet.Â Heh, our priest is very techie, ok?Â I came home and immediately Google up and found this website with the statistics.Â I am not sure who wrote it but it is really enlightening.I hope you will find the comparisons of the world population with Â VillageÂ 100 eye-opening.
Taken from this website.Â If anyone of you know who wrote this, let me know?
Why we bother
Here is some food for thought: If we could compress the earth’s population to a village of just 100 people, Village 100, with all the existing human rations remaining the same, it would look something like the following:
There would be:
– 57 Asians / 21 Europeans / 8 African
– 52 would be female / 48 would be male
– 70 would be non-white / 30 would be white
– 70 would be non-Christian / 30 would be
– 89 would be heterosexual / 11 would be homosexual
– 6 people would possess 59% of the entire world’s wealth and all 6 would be from the USA
– 80 would live in substandard housing
– 70 would be unable to read
– 50 would suffer from malnutrition
– 1 would be near death
– 1 would be near birth
– 1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
– 1 would own a computer.
If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes in your closet, a roof over your head, and/or a place to sleep, consider yourself richer than 75% of the inhabitants of our planet.
If you have money in the bank, money in your wallet, or even just a few coins anywhere, consider yourself among 8% of all people enjoying the best quality of life in this world!