Last night, I finally get to sit down and watch Lust, Caution 100% uncut version starring Tony Leung and Tang Wei and I feel…….
NO!!!!! I feel stupid! I only went to bed at 5 am this morning.
I have so many questions spinning in my head I get nightmares.
Firstly, the show is in Mandarin with Shanghainese. Tiu lor, who speaks Shanghainese lah. The English subtitles dunno come from what crap machine translated type so I disable it so that I don’t go crazy deciphering what the hell they are saying. I need to rely on whatever basic Mandarin I know to understand. I know ‘Wa hen ni” can sounds so ‘I love you” when uttered right.
Now, here are my 101 questions :
1) Why did the girl (Tang Wei) hate those traitors so much? I know she got a tough life due to the Japanese invasion but then, there is nothing that afflicted her enough to compel her to forego her virginity, her life and those of her friends, isn’t it? What exactly is she hating so much?
2) The only part that I know I am clever is when I asked myself, “Hey, how is a young (virgin) girl like her going to be a spy as a Mrs. Mah?” But Ang Lee has failed to draw us to feel for Wang Li Hom. That will probably make the show much more heart rending. You know…like when the other guy was forced to carry out his ‘mission’, show Wang Li Hom looking tortured kinda face? When the girl said, “Three years ago…you could have….but you didn’t.” failed to drive the point because of that.
3) They stabbed the guy to death so violently. I thought that is one of the many parts that will show how ruthless they are. But too bad, it was just pure gore and nothing else. Ang Lee failed to show us the hardened sides of those chaps. Only 6 fumbling good for nothing chaps.
4) Joan Chen character is not fully developed. She played a main part but I cannot feel for her. You see, there is this nice and pretty spy aka Mrs. Mah who is using Joan Chen’s hospitality to seduce her husband with the intention of killing him. Yet, you cannot emphatize with her and neither can you hate her enough to enjoy the thought that her husband is fooling around.
5) The transition from the part where the girl Tang Wei hates Tony Leung to the part where she actually falls in love with him is not define and even being a woman, I cannot see the differences. Those subtle nuances that I should have caught them were not there. The show lacks passion. Lust and passion are two different things, you know? Then, out of nowhere, she is stupid enough to tell him to fled and eventually got herself killed and her friends and country betrayed. This is where I got totally dumbfucked. I mean, WTF, she had been through so much and suddenly, she relented. Over a pink diamond?
So, my recommendation? Males, don’t watch, it is too boring. Women, tell me please. What drove her to go all the way to be a spy and only to betray her whole mission. Yerrr…I geram, I cannot grasp the whole meaning of this show. Very mang-chang wan you know…
12 thoughts on “I watched Lust, Caution Uncut and I……”
oh… got the uncut version liao ha? No yet watch so no comment. Mai ah neh mang-chang, gets old easily. LOL
Movie so lousy, why u stayed up till 5 a.m. to watch leh? I know!!! U kept hoping…hoping…for the lusty and the steamy scenes, and in the end don’t have, so memang frus!!! True or not??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Stp – I no say lousy.
Where you got this uncut version?
Got uncut version at sg. Watched it liao. hehe…
That ass deputy minister should apologize to christians from every nooks and coners around the world for his bloopers. Maybe GE is around the corner so that’s why this KNN agreed to the uncut version.
But watch out, in Bolehland everything can happen. This KNN might just tarik balik permit again after the GE.
periuk hitam – LOL, you posted in the wrong post but all the more safer for me. I hear you loud and clear and I also have the same feelings like you.
cely – Yerr…back in 1940s they never shave armpit wan hor? LOL
yuencidy – Magic. 🙂
ah… this 1 is communist revolution that time and usually all the chinese agent will do anything for their leader to get ride of traitors.
Anyway, I prefer the movie “Lost in Beijing”. The actor is Tony Leung and actress is Fan Bing Bing. Her bodyline damn chun… see already also lau chui nua.
Quick Q&A 😉
1. Because of nationalism. (common sense isn’t it)
2. The story is focus on the main actor and actress. I agree Ang Lee didn’t address it to make the movie solid.
3. Remember “saving private Ryan”? Ang Lee better not overdid it. This is not a gores movie anyway.
4. The original script show that Mr Mah are hansump. Joan Chen know she can’t change the fact but compromise.
5. Actually, it is not “fall in love”….. but the girl addicted to the kongkek part. Remember the movie title – lust. It is not love, but lust.
(you can hate me for decipher it, hahahahaha)
The script are come from Zhang Ai Ling , a famous writer in mandarin speaking world.
It is about a story during WWI in China, an anti-Chiang KMT government minister call Ding-Mou-Chun. Ironically, during the Japanese occupation, Ding join Chiang side as a undercover for many convert operation. Ding is executed by Chiang after WWI.
Oh, to add more point for 5)
I you read newspaper family abuse case, where those wife got beaten for YEARS or even decade (OMG), you will see how easy when a indecisive people can do.
Comments are closed.