TREMOR IN PENANG due to 7.5 magnitude earthquake in Indonesia!!!!
Posted on February 20th, 2008 by Lilian • Filed under: Life and rants
4.11 PM in Penang
Lasting more than two-three minutes.
All my neighbours ran down our apartment unit.
Who else felt it? Remember there is a lunar eclipse tonight.
OK, here are the details :
7.6 (Preliminary magnitude — subject to revision) Updated : 7.5
* Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 08:08:32 UTC
* Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 03:08:32 PM at epicenter
Location 2.600°N, 95.949°E
Depth 35 km (21.7 miles) set by location program
Region SIMEULUE, INDONESIA
* 319 km (198 miles) WSW (250°) from Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia
* 330 km (205 miles) SSE (168°) from Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia
* 332 km (206 miles) WNW (288°) from Sibolga, Sumatra, Indonesia
* 641 km (399 miles) W (265°) from KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
I hope it won’t trigger another tsunami to coincide with the lunar eclipse?
UPDATED FROM BBC :
A powerful 7.6-magnitude earthquake has struck near Indonesia’s western province of Aceh, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) says.
The tremor, at a depth of 35km (21.7 miles), had its epicentre 319 km (198 miles) off the coast of Sumatra, and hit at 1508 local time, the USGS added.
The epicentre was close to that of the earthquake which triggered the 2004 Asian tsunami, killing 130,000 people.
Indonesia is situated in one of the world’s most seismically active areas.