October 23rd, 2004 is the day I penned down my first blog post on http://lilianchan.blogspot.com. Back then, there aren’t many people who blogged. And many people who blogged at that time probably gave up blogging, blog sparsely and only a few are still around.
And what have I learnt from four years of blogging:
1) I can make lots of money from blogging;
2) Making lots of money from blogging can get boring after a while;
3) I can make lots of enemies from blogging;
4) Making lots of enemies from blogging can be fun sometimes;
5) I can make lots of blog buddies from blogging;
6) Making lots of blog buddies from blogging can be boring sometimes;
7) It is good to adopt the ‘one night stand’ relationship with people you know through blogging, have fun, part our own ways and forget all about it later on;
8 ) When you pump your opinions and views consistently, people will somehow start to believe you;
9) The only way to remain a blogger for so many years is to stop caring;
10) Stop giving a rat ass about what others think of your blog post;
11) Don’t give a fark to critics, shut them up early and don’t give them leeway to haunt you;
12) Remember that whatever I posted on the internet stays forever because my blog sifu taught me that internet has permanent memory;
13) Never post anything that I might regret later;
14) I can see a transformation of my ownself through my blog posts;
15) My blog is the sublimation of my psychic energy (ahem, learnt this in psychology course);
16) I am my own best friend;
17) Always think twice before hitting the publish button. No wonder I have so many drafts on my dashboard;
18) I need to have very sharp memory and remember what I had written in the 3,000 + posts on this blog;
19) I need 100 extra lies to cover up one lie, so never lie.
20) White lies are easily disguised when written on a blog which I term ‘personal’;
21) So long as I can walk out and face people, I can continue blogging;
22) No one that is respectable ever look down on me by misjudging my character they found on my blog;
23) If my priest (and another priest) have no problems with how I portray myself as a struggling Catholic, I can tell the rest of those who condemn me with…”Oh, but I thought you are a Christian” to errm…ahhh…errrm…whatever….gth.
24) My blog is read by my sons’ friends, my siblings, my nephews and nieces and my church friends. (omg, including an ex-bf’s son!) And if I still express what I expressed , I guess I have done well.
And like they say, it ain’t finish till the fat lady sings….and tralalalala…I have survived four years as a blogger! Of course, there are lots of unsavoury things to write but I just deleted them off from the points. No point digging back the unpleasant parts, eh?
So, what is the most important thing I gained from blogging?
1) Definitely not the money eventhough I could easily put four sons through college with my online income made in the last one year plus; (just to give you a rough idea, not that they depended on my online income, ok?)
2) Definitely not the whole sham of this stupid blogosphere. They are not important to me. If one day, all of you readers and commentors choose to desert me, it is inconsequential.
What is most important is my sons get to keep a part of me here should I die or something. Something like I elope with some filthy rich tycoon from Switzerland who owns a chocolate factory. How many of your moms allow you to see her quirkiness, stupidity, dumbness, vulnerability, weakness and all that? I guess many women only want to appear as the mother and never the friend/person/individual. So, yeah, the best part of blogging is the fact that I can face myself with all its shortcomings. Through that, I know I am real. As real as how Jesus would want me to be.
So, happy four years old of blogging to me. May there be many more years to come. How many of you are ‘older bloggers’ than me? And can you envision blogging for as long as me?
20 thoughts on “What I learnt from four years of blogging”
congratulations. i think being true to yourself is very important. Enjoy the many years to come…
and don’t get invited to the famous camp in Perak, ok? 😛
wahlau´s last blog post..superstition or just a technique?
You have my respect.
Belgian chocolates better lah. LOL. Get a Swiss that owns a watch factory. ROTFL.
happy anniversary! many happy returns!
and thank god you don’t work. i’m worried now i can easily be google by my future employer since everyone are now tech savvy!
azhan´s last blog post..A Sexciting Weekend. Part 1
I started blogging since 2002 with random posts, only got serious in 2003. When will I stop? I have no idea, I haven’t got bored of it yet, I’m making money from it also, it’s getting more and more interesting each day. How to stop? Unless I no longer got any Internet access.
Irene´s last blog post..Penang Day 1: Penang Here I Come
irene – I guess blogging still have a great future and we still have lots of money to make. Cheers!
azhan – Tu lah, must watch what we write ‘cos Google cache everything. Cannot run, cannot hide one.
tan silly – Like dis, I go find an Arab with oilfield lagi best lah.
wahlau – You also around for many years also hor?
Woooooooo….captcha enable. I hate it but I have no choice because stupid spammers are spamming my blog like hundreds of spam comments per day.
Tiu, I also need to type the captcha to post my own comment.
wah auntie congratz on your 4th year! my blog will also reach 4th anniversary in Nov too!
happy blogging! 😀
CLF´s last blog post..Wired VS Wireless
Wah, so fast 4 years liao hor!
I’m a little younger than you as in blogging age but the difference between the number of posts we’ve made is too huge. Haha…
Bryan´s last blog post..Microsoft Windows 3.1 Window
I haven’t been blogging for as long as you but can be considered ahpek blogger now compare to the newer bloggers. so I guess I should slow down a bit or else I fall & crack my hip then how? HAHAHAHAHAHA
Wuching´s last blog post..May the 1/144th Force be with you!
Congrats and happy anniversary to 5xmom and still going strong. I am into my 2nd year of blogging and have no wish to stop…
sweet jasmine´s last blog post..A Tong Sui of Lotus Tea……….
To quote the oral fixated old man- Sigmund Freud \Sometimes a cigar/blog is just a cigar/blog.”… (albeit someblogs very fun to read wan) (and when need to tiau staff at office good to read chanlilian.net first to put in me tiau mood)
Wahh.. I like your list of what you learned-le. 😉
I’ve been blogging since 2003 but stopped mid-way, ‘coz my blog started to be rants instead of proper stuff. Now, my blog is full of meaningless crap. 😆
Anyway, I’ve learned alot from you – especially about being real and true to yourself when you blog. (^_^)
Keep it up!!! Happy 4th b’day
Angie Tan´s last blog post..One of Those Days…
Congratulations Liian, it is a proud moment for you looking back at what you have achieved after all the four years. Not many bloggers can stay active that long and you are one of the few.
I am just into my second year of blogging and has so much more to learn. It will be a long way before I could see my four years…not sure if I am still active by then …haha
5xMom, u rock!! i am ur fan!!!
I think it is because you say what is in your mind that makes this blogs so fun to read. This is important for a reader like me coz we then have a feeling of being realistic, feet on the ground feeling and not some sites that just blow hot air and makes everyone feel good about it.
Well, not all of us have 4 years in the pocket yet but hopefully one day, we will get there like you.
Congrats though, and many more 4 years to come as god knows some of us need blogs like yours to un-stress ourselfs.
wow what a great effort! Respect! How to stay motivated in blogging like you ah??
I enjoyed your direct and up-to-date postings. Hope you have more great blogging years ahead!
buzzingbee´s last blog post..Korean Food and Cultural Festival 2008
wah!! Happy 4th blogging anniversary!!
I start blogging 5 months after i got to know your blog because your blogs are just to irresistable lah..now cannot lari already..must read everyday!!
*alamak!! now have type captcha pulak.. 🙂
kaDusMama´s last blog post..Finally..
Congratulations Lilian. You have the potential to become a value added bloggers.
I have a lot to learn from you, especially the way you write. I am thinking about shifting gear a little.
Richard LohÂ´s last blog post..Will That Blogger Defend Karpal Singh
Comments are closed.